Friday, June 12, 2015

making fish nets aka roti jala

Roti Jala says hi!

Being a true Malaysian, it's absolutely understandable for you to bring all kinds of spices and food you can get from our beloved Malaysian to the country you'll be living. It is as if you will not survive without having a bit of Malaysian food. The funny people we are haha

I'm not excluded. In my case, I brought a whole box of serunding, sambal belacan my mom prepared for me, curry leaves (as if they don't have it in Cardiff), pandan leaves, Milo and anything you could possibly imagine a Malaysian would take with them. Cili api! Let's not forget that :p

But the most important thing I asked my mom to prepare for me was a bottle with three outlets for me to make these fish nets aka roti jala

I have never loved a bottle as much as this

My version of roti jala

It's one of the Malaysian dishes we make, eaten with chicken curry. Deeeeelicious I tell you! The recipe is so simple I could whip it up in 5 minutes! Just mix these ingredients together:

2 cups flour
1 cup fresh milk
1 egg
1 cup water
1 tablespoon melted butter
a pinch of salt and turmeric powder

Then blend it all in a blender until it becomes smooth. Easy!

But! What makes it slightly difficult is making the fish nets or jala-ing itself. You need to make sure the consistency of the batter somewhere between thin and thick to make sure it doesn't become too runny. 

I had a craving for roti jala during that one cold winter day and I had chicken curry, a leftover I made the day before. So I thought, why not I just try to whip this out. It was my first time making roti jala using the bottle my mom gave me. 

First time trying this out. Okay la hehe

And it turned out to be SO easy! Such a lifesaver! 

By the third round of making it, I felt like such a pro. Squeezing the batter out from the bottle, watching it oozes out excites me! I even decided to make it squared as opposed to the usual rounded shape.




Talking about them makes me feel like making them again. Maybe I should... 

Until then. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment