Sunday, April 17, 2016

hustle's cafe, setapak | review

I have not done a food review in the longest time so I thought this would be a good chance to do so :)

A couple of weeks ago, one of my long-time school friend, Efa came back for a short break and the gang decided to try a new cafe near our house recommended by Fatin K. Opened by one of her friends, she told us that the food at Hustle's Cafe is super yummy with a really good price point. 



It's located in Setapak in front of PV18 where you can find an array of restaurants and cafes. Basically a one-stop place for all things food. Hustle's Cafe opened its doors to food enthusiasts early January and so far the review has been good. All the more reasons to try it out, right? :D

We were full with gluttony so we ordered a bunch of food more than we could eat. So bad but the food was so good *cries while eating* Each of us took different items from the menu. Oh wait, let me tell you the prices for the food. It is amazingly super affordable. The priciest of them was probably RM11! 

During our gastronomical adventure, we ordered, Nasi Lemak Ayam Goreng (so good!), Aglio Olio (super spicy as requested by Fatin S), Beef Burger, Chicken on a Plate, Salted Caramel Brownies, White Chococlate Raspberry Cake, Churros, and Banana Kaya toast. 



First one up is the Salted Caramel Brownies. The brownie was soft, fudgy and chocolatey with a nice hint of caramel. I do wish it would taste more of the saltiness but maybe I should give this another go. Otherwise, good for those with high-blood pressure since you can't eat too salty stuff right? :p



The cakes were all well displayed next to the payment counter so after you order the appetisers and main course, just swiftly make you way to the counter and choose you preferred dessert of choice. Better yet, just dash through to the dessert section. Fatin S and I decided to try the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake. 

Honestly, I am NOT a big fan, wait, no. I am NOT a fan of cheese at all. I can hardly take in or smell the super cheese ones and the pure cheese at any cheese store. There was a back story where I almost puke at a cheese store in Amsterdam just because it just smelled too cheezy! 

Most of you would probably say I'm missing out but I simply can't take it. It was the only store that I had that terrible experience. I tried to enter other cheese store and it was fine. So back to the cheesecake, this does not taste cheesy at all. The cake layer was a soft sponge cake but not too airy. The raspberry layer was equally distributed so you have a clean taste of the cake and the jam. I am not a fan of this but those who loves raspberry might give a huge hug ;)


Fatin K wanted to try the Chicken on a Plate and taste as identical if not very close to Kenny Roger's roasted chicken. I know this 'cause I just had the 1/4 chicken few days before we tried the food at Hustle's Cafe. 

The coleslaw was packed with yummy mayonnaise and the black-pepper sauce was seasoned to the right bit. Accompanying the meal was grilled corn on cob and mashed potato. If you are a fan of roasted chicken, try this. If you are on a budget, this is the perfect meal for you.


One of my friends told me to try their churros as it is one of their star (okay I'm probably making this up but it should be) item in their menu. And it was bomb dot com! I have not tasted a lot of churros to me a churros expert but I've tasted bad ones too. This is had made it to the top list of my favourite churros.

Only at RM8, you get eight cinnamon sugared churros and you have the option to have the chocolate or caramel dip. I'd say just go for both. It is crunchy outside and soft inside. The owner told us that they have tried to improvise the recipe after receiving many feedbacks from their customers and I guess they have found the right one. Kudos to this. Yikes, now I feel like getting some.


Since I have been eating rice and pasta for that week, I opted for the Beef Burger. Those you can't consume beef, they also have the Chicken Burger. Win-win for everyone, yeay! If I were craving for a burger and I don't want to spend much, I'd definitely go for this.

Now, don't compare this to Chili's and high end places cause it is on a different scale but it tastes just as good as the normal restaurants. The burger comes with cheesy wedges on the side (yes I notice the cheese part, I ended up giving to my friends) topped with some herbs.

The patty of the beef is juicy enough and delightfully tasty. You can taste the way it is homemade and not a machined beef patty just grilled on a pan. A heads up for those who eats little, the burger will absolutely take 80% of your stomach space. So eat wisely! :D


One of the things that cafes like these rarely have is some Malay dishes but at Hustle's, you can order their Nasi Lemak if you're up for it! Efa ordered their Nasi Lemak with Ayam Goreng and it was flavourful with a huge portion.

At first when it arrived on the plate, I thought it was just a normal portion but Efa had to struggle a little to finish of her meal as it was quite hefty. The sambal is not too spicy and the chicken is fried just nice. You also get to choose to have fried chicken or sambal sotong to go along with your nasi lemak.

One not pictured here is the Banana Kaya Toast (if I'm not mistaken). Oh my God, it tastes like my favourite Domino's Banana Kaya Dessert! Except it's on a toast. Seriously, it think it was inspired by Domino's and I think I could try to make this my own too. Two bread toasted and in between was the banana and kaya spread and they might just fry it with cheese on top and topped it off with some caramel drizzling. So yummmmmmmm *drools*



The service was fast so no long waits for your food and enduring grumbling tummy when you come to Hustle's Cafe. Except for the Beef Burger. One of the co-founder of the cafe told us that the beef patty is slightly thick hence it needed a slow fire to make sure the patty cooks through. I didn't really mind the wait since I've got my appetiser sorted to fill in the time but just a note to you guys who are first timers there :)


Here is us showing you the interior of the cafe. Apparently they do have outdoor seating as well and correct me if I'm wrong, a shisha service as well.


Okay, another side pulak. Very the industrialised setting. You would love the main entrance too. Pretty tiles where you can snap and hashtag #ihavethisthingwithfloors . Giving ideas to you ;)


At the back there is where the drinks are made and where you go and pay happily cause it's so affordable!


I snapchatted this while I was there so follow me on SnapChat for more good food try-outs at @izzahkhalil :D


Hustle's Cafe is situated at 52, Plaza Crystal Ville, Jalan Danau Niaga 1, Off Jalan Genting Klang, Setapak, 55300, Kuala Lumpur.

Opening times:

12PM - 12AM Tuesdays - Sundays
Close on Mondays

Facebook: Hustle's Cafe
Instagram: @hustlescafe

*This post is not sponsored. All meals were paid by us. Just so you know lah. Hehe*

5 comments:

  1. Salted caramel brownies dia mcm sedap je. Huhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like it more salty but if you're looking to cut down salt in your diet this is really good :D

      Delete
  2. Looks delish Izzah! The brownie would be my kryptonite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you ever come here i'll bring you here! talking about this makes me want more! :p

      Delete