Tuesday, January 20, 2015

skyping with atok

First entry of 2015. Happy New Year! I know I'm a bit late but better late than never :D

I have a few posts lined up but I wanted to start off the first 2015 with something that is dear and close to my heart. My grandfather aka Atok.


Since I started my studies here in Cardiff, I have been constantly trying to keep close contact with my family back in Malaysia. Skyping with Mama is almost a daily routine. One before I go to bed and one after and/or during lunch time.

Atok, on the other hand, once in two weeks or whenever I catch him walking behind Mama while we were talking. Hehe. Just because Atok will depend on Mama or Big Sister or Little Sister to switch Skype on. 

I love talking to Atok and tell him stories of my adventures. From my trip to Paris and the most recent one, Manchester. Atok was a student in University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) back in 1970s and the fact that I had visited the place where he studied and lived delighted him. I even had the chance to start a quest to have a look at the old house he and Mama lived with arwah Nenek and Aunty Inn! :D

Not to forget moments when we suddenly get disconnected! Haha It was so hilarious when we were talking and at one point I was babbling talking about something and I thought Atok was listening but it was just his image stuck on my laptop screen! No wonder he didn't respond when I asked him if he thinks I had gained weight. And I thought he didn't want to be mean to me (screw you winter fat!). I could imagine Atok being frantic calling Mama or whoever that is technology-literate (that excludes Big Sister) nearby trying to get it connected again xD

I also love how having Atok talking to me would make him forget about his arthritis. Atok has been having pain around his knee joints and he would almost always be frustrated about it since it would mean that he could not do his house-works. Atok and being relaxed does not go together. He must be doing something or he'll catch fever. I'm not kidding. Hence why I love taking his mind off the pain and distract him from thinking about it.

After talking to Atok, Mama would always say, "Ha tengok la tu. Dapek cakap dongan Izzah terus happy. Kalau tak, borkorut je. Tak tonang dibueknyo" *cue Negri Sembilan slang* Haha!

Talking to Atok also means learning new facts about Atok when he was younger. Atok is really a walking history book waiting to be unravelled and I should consider writing a biography book about him. Every one of my friends who had the chance to talk to Atok will always tell me that my grandpa is a cool grandpa and they have high respect on him. I doubt anyone would not. He is an excellent father-figure to me. Haha. But really, you should try to converse with him. He'll tell you all sorts of stories sometimes even mind-blowing!

Last Sunday, the usual day when I would talk to him, I told Atok that I had learned a lot of things that books or even education haven't taught me. Managing money, managing time, learning cultures, exploring new places. Things that only experiences can teach you. Atok was glad that I had that realisation and he said that he was expecting me to unintentionally take notice of those matters instead of him telling me to do so. 

"I'm glad you realised the importance of these things. Now you know how I managed my income. I never hide things from your Nenek and I am never dishonest to her. If Nenek was here, she would tell you how I always set aside some of the daily expenditures in an envelope and leave the rest to savings"

Atok's efforts has lead him to actually lead a very wealthy life. But he decided to have modest lifestyle and he is also able to send me off to study here. Alhamdulillah and praise to Allah the Almighty too. Without Atok, I doubt that I'll even be here. Only Allah knows what might have happened to me, where I'll be, what I'll be doing, what kind of person I'll be. 

Getting to talk to Atok has also been a pleasure as he always reminds me to study smart, live within my means and to work hard so I can prepare myself for the future. He would remind me to always thank Allah for what we are given, do not leave our solat and pray to Him when we are facing difficulties. 

What Atok does not know is how much I pray that he will always be healthy so he can see how much I have improved and learned still learning to be independent. To see me be a better person than I was before and to let him see that all his efforts are not wasted. To let me give back to him and take care of him when he needs me. To let me bring him to places he never see and share the things I achieve together. I wish I will have the time to show and share him all these, InsyaAllah.

Here's to more Skype sessions with Atok and Mama until I'm home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment