Friday, January 30, 2015

oxford day trip



WARNING!
There's a gazillion of photos in this post. Please bear with me! :)

---------------------------------------------------------

I just had a thought that I should rewind back a few of my trips while posting new misadventures I have recently. Makes it more manageable. I guess.

One of my first trip with Cardiff University's Postgraduate programme is to the prestigious  Oxford on 18 October. Doesn't the name Oxford itself sounds prestigious? Like, if I were studying in Oxford I'll be super proud of it 'cause you'll be one of those intelligent people there. How awesome is that?

As it was part of my university's programme, we departed from the Students' Union at 8am and reached Oxford around 10am. It was a smooth journey as I had fallen asleep right after the bus started to move. Typical Izzah hehe

Top: P
Bottom: Me and Ani

Along with my newly-made friends we explored the quaint town. Almost like every other town I had the chance to visit in the UK, Oxford presents itself with charming architecture. I wish I could sketch the rustic buildings, the grey weather and people buzzing in and out on a Saturday morning.







As we did not have any plans on where it might be interesting to go, we just head on the nearest tourist spot, the museum! This is where I started to become fond of museums. The layout, the history and the stories it tells of the past. There is so much we can learn from understanding the decisions made by men before and I choose to take the good side of it.

Ain in the purple scarf and Aishah in the leopard scarf. Err, I have no idea who the other two girls are :/


Entrance of the National Museum!

There was an exhibition featuring the famous Egyptian ruler, Tutankhamun, that was displayed in the museum so we took the chance to take a peek.


Upon entering the museum, I had my eyes glued on this one sculpture. Mind you, I don't think Malaysia would have this sort of sculpture being displayed cause.... you know... Malaysians being sensitive to nudity and what not (I honestly find it irritating but we'll reserve that thought before being bashed) -___-

My expression when I first saw the sculpture
But the kid in me appeared one second after to take these kinds of photos :p



One of the pieces that I find interesting was how they tried to recreate the look of an infant mummy with these glasses. By positioning rectangular glasses together, they managed to project the outline of the mummy. Excuse my the pictures taken with my phone. I had completely forgot to bring my camera :/








After spending an hour or so at the museum, we decided to walk around the city aimlessly, again. We found a small hill uprooted near the Oxford Castle and decided to take a look.


We actually had to pay £1 to go up but nobody was guarding the gate so we sort of illegally jumped over and climbed the small hill.










Oh gosh! My head is about to be chopped off! Chopped off! Help!
The French would love to see this. Straight lines. Every where.


The Radcliffe Camera

I'll let you enjoy the pictures of what we found along the way while going around the city.


I can't recall the name of this place but it looks very Harry Potter-ish with the structure of the top.





As we walked around this area, we decided we should popped into one of the churches there. This was the St Mary the Virgin's Church. Unable to deny it, I find the coloured-stained windows enchanting. It was somehow telling me stories about the people living around there.








Thank you filters. We look flawless!






As we stepped out from the church with me struggling to keep the postcards I just purchased from the little store in the church, we came across Oxford University's students walking around. Being the typical tourist we are, we though they just had their convocation. You can't blame us. They were wearing robes and the hat! But every one do look smart and elegant enough to woo me :p


Amidst of all the crowd walking around, we found ourselves at this square with doors leading to what I presume the main area of the schools presented by Oxford University.


I'm just going to guess this is the School of Music

School of Astronomy and Rherorical (?)

School of Natural Philosophies

I'm guessing this has something to do with medicine




And us being in the tourist mood again, started to take pictures. With the photographer herself being awkwardly positioned to take that perfectly angled picture haha!







I managed to spot Dobby in one of the stores when we were walking around. Too bad I didn't give him anything that belongs to me. Sorry Dobby :(




Getting lost in the wet market to find halal food for the grumbling stomach.


And finding unexpected gems!


Too cute to eat!

Walk, walk, walking around

























We finally head out to Christ Church Meadow and discovered the beautiful scenery. Perfect for an OOTD shoot!








There will always be a funny or weird story behind the scene of a selfie. Like we do.


Taking in the sun






There were cows, really really fat cows, enjoying the green grass. Taking time to munch and chew the delicious and fresh green vegetable. Well, they are sort of a vegetarian.







And once in a while, being anti-social just because we were posting pictures on Instagram. Itching to update the social media's feed :p







Toodles from us!

More adventures from me soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment