Tuesday, December 16, 2014

now what?

After submitting all assignments on Friday, a question popped into my mind, 

'now what?' 

I am finally done with my first semester (or term as they call it here) and my 6-weeks of Christmas holiday begins. I've had a mental list of all the things I wanted to do after completing the arduous tasks but I could not settle to one thing that is on top of my to-do list.

While in between catching up on series that I've been neglecting to watch, a certain part of my brain reminded me that I have a blog that the spiders are happily fixing their webs to make home. No spidey! The owner is back and I'm going to fill this space with new stuff! I figured since I haven't fill this space with my journeys, I could start to by sharing my thoughts on the first semester of me being in Cardiff :D

Oh! Before that, in case you didn't notice, I've included a row of my Instagram feed at the top of my blog and my Twitter feed! Just to give anyone reading the blog a bit of update and my 140-characters thoughts on Twitter. Yeay!

Back to being serious......

For the past few weeks, I have been devoting myself to work on all assignments (3 individual and 1 group) before the deadline on Friday, 12 December. To be honest, as a journalism student previously, I did not expect to be reading more than 20 books and journals (not including articles!) for just one assignment. I mean, back then, all I needed to do before was do some researching for the topic that I'm writing about and just create a news article. Conduct a little bit of interviews and I'm ready to type news full-force.

But, this time it was different.

With the multi-nationalities of students in my class, I had to work together with a lot of people from various backgrounds. It was challenging, of course, especially when we try to communicate and understand each other. I did try my best to decode what some of my classmates were trying to say and some of them are good in explaining. While others, well I just needed to put myself in their shoes to get the whole point of what they're saying (lagi-lagi orang dari tanah besar).

There was this one time I felt that I couldn't work with the team and I remember I cried to my mom and my Atok while on Skype. I was homesick at that point too which contributed into further heart-wrenching-explosion-of-emotions. The fact that I feel the need to make my Atok proud of my studies and the standard I've put myself to achieve certain grades, didn't help either.

I was at one of my lowest point. But they said talking to someone is good and I deeply appreciate that I can still talk to Mama and Atok about all the problems that I faced. Coupled with non-stop prayers hoping that I could just finish the assignment, my team managed to finish it on time. And I could say we did okay for our presentation.

Despite all this, I chose to take this experience the positive way. Without the difficulties I'd gone through, I would not have known what I will do for the second term. And in between all those problems, I still have my friends that I talk to. Not all of my group mates were bad and I even had two groups that was awesome! I even managed to sneak in a few trips in between. Trips to Oxford, London and Nottingham that I promise I will blog about :)

See, not all things are bad Izzah *self-pat*

Wait, that's not all. I'm not finished. For those who loves Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I think you will love this web-series called The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. It was uploaded few years back (and I regret to knowing this earlier!) and it shows the modern side of how Pride and Prejudice would play out. It's a 5-minute series so I didn't feel that guilty to watch it in between assignments xD. They even have spin-offs that helps you to understand the different side of the story.

Here's the entire playlist for you to start watching :D

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment